For a while now I have had the idea to turn a power point presentation I developed a number of years ago into an online learning module. A couple of weeks ago, I set up a domain specifically for playing with Moodle and installed it. I then had to uninstall it as my host’s server’s version of SQL is a bit long in the tooth to support the current version. Once I found a compatible version I unzipped it on my server, set up a database with a couple of test users and had a click around the installation.
I had no troubles creating a course directory structure, but how one went about adding content boggled my mind (it was probably 3 am when I did all this).
This evening, I thought I’d have a fresh look at things and after about 3 hours of referring to my old power point presentation, I’d ported enough information from it to make a fairly decent, but basic and no frills training package on how to control microbes in the home.
Looking at things, if (and when) I have a go at developing some more training modules, most of the fancy formatting will probably be done in Dreamweaver and then copied across to Moodle as I’m not too keen one the provided text editor.
If you want to check it out, click here to learn a little about microbiology. (link’s dead as I’ve removed the site – Jan 2016)